Full Stack Engineer
Koru Kids is growing quickly. We’re on a mission to improve childcare in London, and looking for someone experienced, creative and friendly to join our team as our fourth engineer.
About Koru Kids
Koru Kids is on a mission to improve childcare in London, making it easier and more affordable for families to access flexible and high quality childcare. We are backed by fantastic investors, including top VCs who’ve backed companies like Wonderbly, Thread and Appear Here, as well as the founders of Gumtree and Entrepreneur First. We won ‘Best Technology’ at the Business Women Awards 2017, and are currently shortlisted for a number of awards including Startups ‘Tech Business of the Year’.
About the role
We’re building a marketplace that enables families to find and share high quality nannies. As an engineer on the Koru Kids team, you’ll be designing and building tech to make complex matching problems a breeze, to give families and nannies a solution that just works, and to supercharge our nanny recruitment and training processes.
You’ll be working in Ruby for most of the backend, with Rails, PostgreSQL and Redis making up the majority of our core product. You’ll be using modern frontend tooling, with ES6 and Tachyons. When it comes to shipping code, you’ll be sending pull requests and doing code reviews in GitHub, and checking that CircleCI is happy before anything goes live. You’ll mostly be deploying to Heroku, with some heavy lifting on AWS. (That said, our priority is making sure we’re using the right tools for the job and we’re open to adding to or changing up our tech and tooling as appropriate.)
We’re continuously improving our product, building key features that will move the needle in a big way. Instead of an endless product roadmap, we run short development cycles to test assumptions and make smart decisions quickly. We favour feature flags over staging environments and deploy to production as often as we need to; deployment cycles shouldn’t get in the way of delivering value. As an engineer on the team, you’ll work closely with product and operations to find and build creative solutions for business problems and make sure we’re delivering the most value to our customers.
You’re a mid-level or experienced generalist or backend web developer who thrives in small, fast-moving engineering teams.
- Familiarity with web application development
- Familiarity with relational databases and SQL
- You take pride in writing readable, well-designed and well-tested software
- You’re keen to pair program when appropriate, and generally enjoy a culture of code review
- You’re humble, you lap up feedback, and you want to learn
- You roll with it. You understand that startups are unpredictable environments, and are comfortable with a degree of chaos
- You own it. You take responsibility for your work from start to finish
Not essential, but nice to have
- Experience with Ruby on Rails
- You practice test-driven development
- A degree in Computer Science or a related field
Any of these profiles could be a great fit
- Developer bootcamp graduate with at least one year of software engineering experience in industry
- New graduate in Computer Science or related field and a couple of software engineering internships
- Experienced software engineer with a number of years in industry
Competitive salary (£40-£75k, or more depending on experience) and generous share options (0.1% - 1%).
We work from a beautiful co-working space near Old St in central London. The office has a gym and showers, bike storage, free snacks and drinks, and a programme of social events.