Full Stack Engineer (Ruby on Rails)
Koru Kids is growing quickly. We’re on a mission to improve childcare in London, and looking for someone experienced, creative & friendly to join our team as our second full stack engineer.
About Koru Kids
Koru Kids is on a mission to improve childcare in London, making it easier and more affordable for families to access flexible and high quality childcare, We are backed by fantastic investors, including top VC’s who’ve backed companies like Slack and Oculus, as well as founders of Gumtree and Entrepreneur First. We won ‘Best Technology’ at the Business Women Awards 2017, and are currently shortlisted for a number of awards including Startups ‘Tech Business of the Year’.
About the role
We’re building a marketplace that enables families to find and share great quality nannies.
To do this, we’re building great software for our families, supporting our matching team with critical tools that make complex matching problems a breeze, and using technology to supercharge our nanny recruitment and training processes.
We’re continuously improving our product, building key features that will move the needle in a big way. Instead of an endless product roadmap, we run short development cycles to test assumptions and make smart decisions quickly. This isn’t a sprint and there’s no project managers, we work closely with the rest of the business to make sure we deliver the most value to our customers.
Our stack uses Ruby for most of the backend, with Rails, PostgreSQL and Redis making up the majority of our core product. We use modern front end tooling, with ES6, React and Tachyons. When it comes to shipping code, we love GitHub code reviews and making CircleCI happy before anything gets into production. We mostly deploy to Heroku, with some heavy lifting on AWS. We favour feature flags over staging environments and deploy to production as often as we need to; deployment cycles shouldn’t get in the way of delivering value.
We’re looking for an experienced Ruby developer who thrives in small, fast-moving engineering teams.
- You take pride in writing readable, well-designed and well-tested software.
- You have experience working with production web applications, ideally in Ruby on Rails.
- You’re keen to pair program when appropriate, and generally enjoy a culture of code review.
- You own it. You take responsibility for your work from start to finish.
- You’re humble, you lap up feedback, and you want to learn.
- You roll with it. You understand that startups are unpredictable environments, and are comfortable with a degree of chaos.
- You fit right into our culture of supporting and helping each other.
Not essential, but nice to have
- You practice test-driven development.
- You’ve worked with relational databases at scale, and had to carefully consider schema design for query performance.
- You have a computer science related degree.
Competitive salary dependent on experience plus generous share options.
We work from a beautiful co-working space near Old St in central London. The office has a gym and showers, bike storage, free snacks and drinks, and a programme of social events.