Back-end Ruby Engineer
Back-end Ruby Engineer
About Koru Kids
Koru Kids is building the world’s best childcare service, starting in London. We’re making it easier and more affordable for families to access high quality childcare. We’re growing like crazy, backed by some of the best investors in Europe, and we’ve won a bunch of awards.
A little about the role
This role is perfect for an experienced Ruby Engineer who wants to continue to hone their craft in a software, data and content start-up about to enter a hyper growth phase.
We have a mature and stable tech stack and a healthy code-base, built with a strong focus on quality and best practices, which allows for fast design iterations, short development cycles and quick fixes when challenges spring up.
We’re not a deep tech company - we’re providing a tech solution to a complex human interaction problem. Ultimately we are reinventing one of the last essential areas of our social infrastructure that remains largely untouched by technology.
Cool things you could work on
Helping us scale our public transit time and routing services, enabling lightning quick calculations of transit time between hundreds of thousands of families across London and beyond.
Refining our search algorithms and building tools to make complex ‘matching’ problems a breeze, to give families and nannies a solution that works.
Designing our payroll infrastructure, supporting thousands of individual employee shift submissions every month, ensuring we invoice our families and pay our nannies accurately and on time. This will eventually extend to being a fully fledged scheduling and shift management tool.
A little about you
- You are a back-end ruby Engineer working on client-facing products (not internal tools)
- You write and ship code in a production environment
- You understand relational databases - MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL etc
- You understand cloud storage, with Heroku preferred
- You are comfortable writing complex SQL queries
- You appreciate the nuances of agile and scrum
- Skills with or an appetite to learn Ruby on Rails or React are a bonus
- Knowledge of AWS may come in handy, as would proficiency with GitHub, CircleCI, Tachyons, Redis, ES6
How you like to work
- We're a scaling start-up, so you’ll be open to task-switching where necessary
- You value testing, whether test-first or TDD, and advocate clean code
- You're comfortable challenging and being challenged in code review
- You believe in iterating, fast learning-loops and the value of feedback
- You are comfortable working with non-tech people
About the team:
- We're hard-working, friendly and kind. If you’re brilliant AND humble, you’ll fit right in
- Our office is informal but fast paced – we constantly challenge, test and adapt the way we do things
- We’re committed to integrity, doing the right thing and building a company we are proud of
- We’re passionate about our mission to create a truly fantastic childcare service to help working parents
- Based in a WeWork in Old Street, you get coffee machines, free yoga classes, a secure bike room & showers.
- Our offices are step-free, and have non-gendered bathrooms.
- 25 days holiday a year.
- As a proud equal opportunity employer we are supportive of flexible working patterns, and alternative working arrangements.
- We are committed to hiring candidates based on business needs, job requirements, and candidate qualifications, without regard to individual’s characteristics or backgrounds.